The flea market at church wasn't impromptu, my decision to join in the discarding festivities was. It wasn't a true flea market, but more of, "I'll bring my stuff I don't want, and you bring your stuff, and maybe we'll trade." The leftovers would be donated.
I started with a book cabinet. The book cabinet, as opposed to books displayed, contains my lesser favorite fiction (or fiction I barely liked) and how-to books. How to invest, be happy, build muscles, manage people, manage curly hair, feng shui a room, etc. If I was really honest with myself, a lot of those books I was simply saving in order to put on my "dream floor-to-ceiling bookshelves" one day. But if I learned anything in my "how to feng shui" kick, it was this: everything in your home should resonate positively with you. Every "thing" has an energy attached to it. So if you don't love it, or it's a gift that you feel too guilty to part with (even though you hate it), let it go! Free yourself little birdie! I'm a pretty organized person but even I was feeling bogged down with too much stuff.
So this is assignment number one: Declutter. Start with a clothes closet. Or a junk drawer. Since I just got married, I had recently done the closet in a vain attempt split space with my husband so he wasn't relegated to a back bedroom closet. It worked out, as he didn't seem to notice the 1/3, 2/3 split, or didn't care. He did his own purging before moving to California. I was pleasantly surprised at how little he came with. Until I found out he sold my gift to him--yoga block, mat and strap--at a garage sale. (If you want to be annoyed with your man, picture him as 7 years old, and his behavior will make more sense.)
Clear and purge your physical environment to make room for more intangible blessings to flow in. You'll feel lighter. Let's focus on decluttering for the next two weeks. xo, t
No comments:
Post a Comment