Sunday, October 5, 2014

Domains of Interest

So last week I listed my domains of interest. None of them are anything I've mastered, or even know much about, but in the spirit of brainstorming, I listed many areas. They seem to  fall into a few broad categories:

1. Aesthetics: Design, decorating, fashion, art, architecture, feng shui.
2. Wellness: Healthy cooking, yoga, ballet, contemporary dance, keeping a journal, the beach.
3. OCD: Boxes and right angles.
4. Brainy: Money management, planning, & investing, corporate law, negotiations, great literature, writing, medicine, nursing.

I also asked myself the question, if I inherited $5 million dollars, what would my life look like? First, I'd pay cash for a 1500-2,000 sq. foot cottage in Laguna Beach that had a little back house. Then I'd put $500,000 in an account to cover the taxes for years to come. I'd buy a moped in cream or black to get around town. I'd set up a yoga studio and writing studio in a portion of the house where the sun came in from the side and a nice beach breeze flowed through. I'd find a part-time job as an in-house attorney with a corporation that does something cool, like fashion or entertainment. I'd negotiate all their contracts and attend cool events. In my spare time I'd write another novel and practice meditation and yoga--and I'd be a regular at YogaWorks. I'd spend 1 week a year at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, and a holiday with a different family member, NYC, Boise, Switzerland.... I'd gather up my husband and the girls and go on an RV-trip with a hired driver across the U.S. to a Notre Dame football game as our destination.

Now isn't that interesting? Even as I write that, nothing in that scenario is too far out of reach. So either I am not dreaming big enough, or what I really want out of life isn't that complicated. I'm not wanting to be an in-house attorney without already having a law degree. (But if I needed a law degree, that would tell me I might need to incorporate more education.) Right now, even though I don't live in Laguna, I do have a great home 35 minutes away in which I can write and do yoga. I can go to Yoga Den instead of YogaWorks. I'm not in a position to work part time, but that may be something I can work toward. If I leave my current position, I could probably find a higher paying job that eventually allows me to go part time.

One caveat: sometimes our life has bigger plans than we currently imagine. I want to leave open the possibility that I have an even bigger calling than even my $5 million imagination allows. In the meantime, I'm going to try to keep evolving and growing to incorporate my domains of interest and vision into my current life so I keep moving away from angst and toward bliss.

What did you write? What do your domains of interest look like? What does your $5 or $10 million dollar life look like? How far or how close is it to your current life? What do you need to start incorporating to get closer to bliss if you are currently in angst? What are you not appreciating right now that is already yours?

Write and imagine some more. Enjoy! xo, t

No comments: