Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Intentional Nest

How do you feel when you walk into your house at the end of the day?  Is it a sanctuary? Is it clean and uncluttered? Do your belongings have meaning? Is there a flow to your furniture? Does the decor tie together in meaningful, functional and beautiful way?

On the other hand, do you have left-over college furnishings, the wagon-wheel-coffee-table equivalent of your husband's former life? Are your cupboards filled with sports' logo plastic cups? Do you have the Monica-closet that no one shall open or enter, lest they be felled with stench of mold and falling items?  

If scenario two describes even secret corners of your life, or just applies to a section of your home that you avoid, there is a home remedy for that. Her name is Tara Garcia. Tara is a combination of angel and tough love.You pick the focus area and Tara swoops in and the two of you go to work. I thought I was a pretty organized person and, although we didn't spend a lot of time with "purging" (white trash bags for donation, black for trash--or vice versa?), we did spend time rearranging furniture, figuring out how I spend my time, and creating spaces with upgraded purpose, beauty and intention.

I learned about Tara when I pitched in for another friend to receive her services as a birthday present. It sounded like it would be an expensive gift--however, it turns out our contributed money bought 5 hours of Ms.Garcia's time. Well, maybe I can afford two hours...so I tucked her number away a called about a month later. Even more important than what she did for my home, and the punch list of items to do/buy as my budget allowed (restuff couch, spray down cobwebs, get windows washed, buy brown mulch, buy end table and lamp, etc.), I was more intrigued with this gal who seemed to being doing far more than just a job, she seemed to be on the far right scale on bliss. The "Job=angst, calling=bliss" scale....

Tara was kind enough to allow an interview regarding her journey toward her life's calling, her true passion for her clients and the service she provides.

As a child, Tara was the girl who continually organized and redecorated her room. She would display any items in the prettiest ways, whether teddy bears or trophies. Her first career was in the medical field, which seems a far cry from the creative and thoughtful endeavor of decorating. However, being in an OB/GYN office which strove for Nordstrom-style service, she excelled in discipline, organization, and going the extra mile. When the doctor she worked for turned 50, she threw a themed bash that included 50 roses. Tara was all about the planning and impeccable details. Soon she was being asked to plan events from baby showers to birthday parties. With every event the response was the same, "Why aren't you doing this for a living?"

One day Tara was perusing Facebook and she saw a post that essentially said, "What's holding you back?" So Tara took a sure fire route to super inspiration, she prayed to God. In every way divine intervention seemed to guide her footsteps and her confidence, providing little and big signs, guiding her direction. She described it as a four-step process: (1) choose; (2) listen; (3) receive: (4) act, continually moving in the new direction.

Tara never worries about the money aspect. Rather, she focus her utter thoughts, intentions and prayers on the client and their needs. You'll never see her cell phone during your entire session. In fact, she admitted that she arrives early to pray in her car for inspiration specific to the family she is visiting. Very cool. 

So, in the words of her birthday client, Angela, "Tara changed my life." 

Strong statement. "Can you be more specific?" I asked.

"I hated my house. Now I feel like my house has intention, a purpose. I love it."

If your house doesn't feel like a place you love, call in this expert from The Nest. Start with 2-3 hours and see where that leads your home transformation. Simple changes can lead to huge changes in perspective. When you decide to call, that means you're ready. And Tara is ready to make you happier.

Follow her on Instagram at the__barn (two underscores). Or call her at (714) 356-0948.

Happy nesting! xo, t

2 comments:

Ange said...

Great post! Tara is awesome!

Texas said...

Yes she is!!